Monday, October 27, 2008

Bread Puding..

Last Sunday...I decided to invite few of my friends over to my house for 'makan-makan'. My parents were not around so it was me who did all the cooking. I cooked spaghetti which to me was normal since I've done that a few times before this. So it wasn't really something unusual plus we have instant spaghetti sauce in bottles nowadays. But I did the sauce myself! Yet, I don't really feel the thrill because I know even if I tell people I did it myself but they can choose whether to believe me or not as spaghetti sauce are everywhere on the shelves in the supermarket. But really! I did it myself. Ok..whatever! Spaghetti was not the only dish that I cooked. I did bread puding too..heheh...(malulah..)Why bread pudding? There was one day when my officemate bought bread pudding she made, to office. It tastes really good until i decided to do it myself. (Not to say this is the first time I ate something good until I want to give it a try myself, but knowing from my friend that making it is very simple makes me want to try it.)

Ok..but still I was not sure whether I really want to do it or not. But to my own surprise, the next day I went to the supermarket, took 'susu sejat' (took time to look for this..kot tersalah ngan susu pekat plak), and vanilla essence. That's it..I really am going to do it. I still can't imagine how to do it. Haven't any idea of the flow of doing it. The ingredient, as it's not that many of things that's needed, so I just memorize after reading on the recipe in the internet.

So, when I reached home, I ran upstairs to my laptop and read the recipe once again. This time read it by heart. I'm going to do it so it better be by heart! Knowing myself, I never bother to take a pen and jot down the recipe. I trust my memorizing ability (berlagak..hahhaaa). Ok! I'm ready to blast! I mix the ingredient confidently. I trust my intuition when it comes to salt and sugar (ingat goreng sayur ke..main campak2 agak2 je). Mixed everything and now it's ready to be steamed. Since I'm all excited, every 5 minutes I will open the lid of the 'pengukus' to see how does my bread puding look like, what does it turn to. Then I realize that I'm not suppose to do that, I then can control my self to look at it every half an hour instead. It was supposed to be steamed in 1hr 15min (so do the math yourself on how many time I opened the lid).

It's time! Wahh..it smells good. I'm trying to compare with the one my friend did. Hers is thicker. Kenapa mine is penyek!?Lembik?...ok, I try to calm myself..collecting all my experiences seeing people doing cakes, pudding, cookies, etc...whatever..whatever..recalling all that can be done, has been done and needs to be done..maybe because it's hot. All hot things are lembik. Left it to cool and maybe it needs to be stored in the fridge for a while. Tried to console myself. It's ok..it's your 1st attempt..this is good enough!

Still I'm not confident enough to serve it to my friends. So I ended up only serving to my last couple of friends that came. I tried it..Ok, Sweet, but SALTY! Adoii! just imagine sweet yet salty. Not to say sooo salty but it's not supposed to be THAT salty..

When everything is over, time to sleep, I went back to my laptop and look at the recipe, now I got it why it's salty. The recipe says. 'A pinch of salt'. It really means you have to pinch and put it. But Me, I use spoon! Thank god just a tea spoon. But still! there is a big difference between pinch and spoon!

Moral of the story: Don't be too confident. Get a pen and jot down unless you're a pro!

But something good, I tried do it again the NEXT DAY! It turns better than before. Thicker and most importantly only sweet and 'lemak-lemak' not salty anymore. And, something even better, I'm gonna do it again! but don't know when.

No comments: